Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Old Drafts

I had a look at the old draft of Deep Embrace from 2007/2008 yesterday. The beginning is terrible, it begins so cliche, with Perse tossing and turning in bed and then waking up to describe her room in detail. She runs to her parents and tearfully tells them about Helios and how she has to go to him and they give her some magical doohicky that will aide her in her quest. I had a look at the ending though and it was not that bad. I saw some good writing in there and it made me feel good about myself. I am even thinking about ripping out the ending and tweeking it a little to fit it into the new version.

I've been thinking about my next project as well. I'm torn between doing a novel and possibly rewriting Tears of a Goddess. I held back on the original Tears and kept it shorter when it probably should've been at least over 30,000 words long. I think if I went back and full on reworked it I could make it totally epic. It might even be large enough to be a novel. I always liked that story. I wanted to do a big fight scene in it but I held back because I was too exhausted to try and write it.


Deep Embrace is now over 25,000 words long and should hopefully crack 30,000. It doesn't matter if it doesn't because its a nice little length for most ebook publishers and I have already selected a few publishers I am excited about submitting it too. I really don't know what to do about the Seven Virtue series. I've been tossing up the idea of changing it into one novel but I have the feeling if I do that it might explode to a huge length because of the 7 bad guys in it.

It really is a seven book series at its core. Now I'm stuck with the question do I go ahead and plan for them all and write the first? Or do I rewrite Tears of a Goddess into a novel? I seem to be writing larger and larger works in quicker time periods lately. I know 25,000 words in six months is not that much to alot of writers who write at super human speeds, but coming from a girl that used to spend years on a single novel, its pretty damn good for me.

I am certain I am going to finish DE this year and will be shopping it around before the end of the year. I'm probably going to continue with the smaller novellas circuling around my head for a while. I'm going to try and make them as large as possible and maybe sometime soon I'll be able to write a 50,000 word novel in less than a year. Now that's a good goal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment