Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Whispers in the Dark Update!

I got a surprise when I checked my hotmail this morning. Someone had left a comment on my very rough "trailer" I made for Whispers in the Dark all the way back in 2009 before it came out. I actually think my trailer is not that bad considering I had no money, no real good programs to make it with, and only a rough soundclip of thunder to add onto it to make it sound cool. The trailer can be seen here

I thought the comment was really nice. They said they loved my book and would recommend it to anyone who likes Greek mythology. This makes me so happy. It's great for me to know that people enjoyed my little short story, that people did buy it, and that they actually took the time to google Whispers in the Dark. I am looking forward to Echoes in the Wind coming out so much. I am going to get my sister Katie to make the trailer. She's really good at making videos so the trailer should hopefully look much MUCH better than the one I did for Whispers in the Dark. No pressure, Katie! :-)

I am much more proud of Echoes in the Wind then I am of Whispers in the Dark. I feel that I have improved as a writer. The story is longer and much more darker than Whispers. It is a novella so the plot and characters are fleshed out much more. Whispers in the Dark was an experiment. I wanted to see if I could write a short story and get it published. I wrote it for a magazine but through a weird twist of fate it became an ebook. Getting it published as an ebook made me realise that I really wanted to write longer works. I got to hold Whispers in the Dark in my hands as a printed book and that was awesome but I didn't feel like it was a huge achievement because it was so small. I decided I am not really a short story writer. I want to write novels. I want to see my name written on the spine of a book. So you can see why I am more excited about Echoes in the Wind. It is an improvement on Whispers in the Dark because it is a novella. But I know I can do better. I know I can write something even longer.

I actually think Deep Embrace might stand a good chance of getting close to 80 to 100 thousand words in its rough draft. You know what that means? It will be a real honest to God novel! After editing it should be between 50 and 70 thousand words (god willing) which is the PERFECT size for a small novel. My problem in the past with writing was doing works that were too long. Atlantis Reborn clocked in at over one thousand pages in one draft. Yes, that's right, I wrote a phone book. I feel as if I have evolved enough as a wirter that I am now at the point where I can write a perfect sized novel of between 200 and 300 pages long. Deep Embrace might be the one. The question I have to ask myself now though is do I want to market it to ebook publishers or proper agents? I really don't know the answer to that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment