Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Deep Embrace is 1 year old this month

I started writing Deep Embrace one year ago this month. Ah, god, that also means its been one year since I left my last job. How time flies, eh? I can't believe it's been a year. Isn't it funny how time can pass so slowly in some jobs but in others it goes by so quickly it's as if you slept the whole time?

As for my writing, my speed has improved over the past year, and at the same time has pretty much remained the same. It took me over a year to write Echoes in the Wind and that little puppy ended up under 100 pages once it was completely finished. Deep Embrace, on the other hand, is almost 45,000 words long and nearly 130 pages. So I have written a longer peice in the same amount of time, which is good, but I still have not breeched 200 pages or finished the damn thing. I will soon though!

I think I will be finished on the rough draft of Deep Embrace in 3 months which will be perfect timing because that will be around the time I will be assigned an editor for Echoes in the Wind and it will be very close to my wedding.

What are my goals for next year? I would like to make an effort to improve my writing speed some more. I have a daily goal of over 200 words. I usually do between 400 and 500 words a day, sometimes more, but never less than 200. I force myself to meet that tiny goal even if it means writing until my fingers bleed and pulling out large tuffs of my hair. I know it doesn't sound like a very large goal but writing, for me, is like mental torture sometimes. It's like giving birth every day. Try it sometime. As someone famous once said 'Writing is easy. Just open a vein.' DAMN STRAIGHT!!

I know that In Your Footsteps will probably take me another year, maybe even a little longer, but if I can I would like to be past 42,000 thousand words in half the time it took me with Deep Embrace, so that would probably mean upping my daily word limit by another 200 words. A pain in the ass but not impossible.

The dream would be able to finish a proper sized novel in less than 12 months. Finishing one in 6 months would be awesome. Some writers are able to do one in a month, a week, or even a few days, but they are insane. Insane, I say!! I try to be a pleasurable task masker to my brain. I encourage it to write by whispering sweet nothings to it and promising rewards, like playing Wii when I get home, if I can just meet my daily word goal. I do not want to push myself so hard to finish something (like a novel in a month) that writing no longer becomes fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment