1. You can't sit in the bath without being struck with ideas for your current project (This happens to me all the time)
2. You write lines of dialogue on your hands at work because you do not have a notebook in your bag or can't leave the room
3. In school when the teacher was not looking you pull out a notebook from under your pencil case and continue writing your stories
4. You spend your lunch break at work/school writing stories
5. You're talking to a real, living, breathing person and suddenly stop and listen because one of your characters interrupted you.
6. Your novels are backed up on your laptop, your husband's laptop, two thumb drives, and you're seriously toying with the idea of getting a safe deposit box.
7. You scribble your characters names all over your school work
8. When your computer crashes you burst into tears at the thought of loosing your work (I've done this)
9. You have a favorite pen. Uniball Signo 207 in medium with the comfi-grip in black ink. Excellent ink coverage.
10. You get caught up in plotting your next scene and put the cereal in the fridge, and the milk in the pantry.
11. The stacks of your old manuscripts and rejection letters officially constitutes a fire hazard.
12. You desperately want Crayola tub markers so you can write down all that great dialog that comes to you in the shower.
13. You love restaurants that put a big sheet of paper over the table cloth and leave you with a handful of crayons.
14. You spend time "casting" the future movie production of your novel
15. You create "sound tracks" for your novels
16. You have dreams of getting the "call" from an agent/editor
17. You practise writing dedications on your computer
18. You plan how to break the news you're getting published to your friends and family even though you're not yet.
19. You start drooling at the thought at looking at your front cover for the first time
20. You're on hoilday and you start looking forward going home so you can continue writing (This happened to me in Rome)
21. You frame your first acceptance letter
22. You pin all of your rejection letters to the walls in your room
23. You make excuses to get out of social events so you can write at home in wonderful silence while everyone is out
24. You bitch and complain about the cost of Microsoft Office
25. You can excited when the "Back To School Sales" come out because you can pick up pens and notebooks for ten cents each. Ten frigging cents!!
25. You create posters and banners of your characters in photoshop to display on message boards
26. You sketch pictures of your characters, their clothing, their magical items, weapons, houses, cities, maps, etc....
27. You spend your weekends doing research on irritating, hard to find out subjects, like if the ancient Greeks had last names (I never did find out)
28. You hang on writers message boards
29. You get irritated when you give something you've written to a family member to critique and all they say is "Its good"
30.And finally, you know your a writer if you look at yourself and see a writer. Everyone else looks at you and sees an obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive insomniac with a pen fetish