Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Surgical Editing

I'm making good progress rewriting Deep Embrace. I'm halfway through chapter three and I'm finally smoothing out all of its problems. It was really hard writing the first draft. I realized about half way through that I had major problems. I knew the beginning was bad, some chapters needed to be cut in half, and some scenes would probably need a complete rewrite. I had characters going up and down emotionally, had scenes that were way too long, the list goes on and on. My inner editor spent months jumping up and down shouting "It's crap! It's all crap!" It was hard to ignore my fears and continue ahead with my flawed first draft. I knew if I stopped before I reached the end and went back to rewrite the beginning that I would get caught in an endless loop and would probably never finish it.

Well I managed to finish. Now I'm very carefully weeding out all of those problems and it really is quite surgical. I have to be very careful of what I remove because it might have an effect on the rest of the book. When you make a change you are making a different timeline, basically, that could derail you. I'm planning on rewriting the second half of chapter three which will mean rewriting most of chapter four but I know it will be for the best. The question is can I pull it off without making the rest of the book rear off track and fall apart?

No comments:

Post a Comment