Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Stupid computer!

I came home last night and turned my computer on. It decided to be a little shit and not load for about two hours. I hate my peice of shit computer. Most of the time it works fine even though it is missing a backspace key, has a habit of freezing, throwing up the blue screen of death, and having trouble remembering where I've saved word documents...other THAN ALL THAT...it's fine. No, really. Every once in a while it will have trouble loading and I'll sit on the edge of the couch chewing on my fingernails and thinking to myself "This is it. My computer has died and it has taken my stories with it." If I get really stressed I'll start moaning, pulling on my hair, stalking around the house, screaming in frustration, crying, or rambling "It will be okay. It will be okay. I have a back up from three months ago..." I had to put a dollar in the tantrum jar last night because I got so worked up. Yeah...we have a tantrum jar in our house...don't ask....

I know I should always keep an up to date back up of my stories but I never do. I have a bad memory so I always forget. The one thing that always reminds me to back up my stories is when my computer freaks out like it did last night. Once it starts working again, and it always does, I'll whip out my thumb drive and anxiously copy and paste my little baby onto the stupid thing.

Last night we deicided that I should switch computers and use Jaylani's. I'm now in the process of transferring all of my crap onto his. I feel weird about it though. It's not MY computer. I want my own computer. I miss my old computer. Yeah, it's a piece of crap, but I'm used to it. Jay's feels weird. His keyboard is all different. I'll get used to it...I suppose...but it's not the same. I need my own machine. I'm a writer. I've been putting off getting a new one for months because of the wedding and the honey moon (seriously how could I afford one on top of all that?) I'm going to get one next year (god willing) and at some point hopefully, please, get my stupid teeth fixed finally...

The lesson in this blog post, my little writers? Get a damn decent computer. Get one that you can trust will work each day so you do not have to constantly back up everything. I should be able to trust that my stupid machine is going to switch on when I press power. But just to be safe do back up your stuff. Loosing a novel to the black hole of computer death would be a bit like loosing a baby. It's not a fun thing to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment