Wednesday, April 13, 2011

One drop at a time

"Writing is easy. Just open a vein." Writing is so hard sometimes. I'm almost at the 35k mark in Deep Embrace. I've had a bit of writer's block this past week. I've probaly done a little over one thousand words. In two weeks. I know some writers who can pump out over 10k in one sitting. Talented bastards. I am a very slow writer. I don't know why. Most of the time it does not bother me. One a good week I can do between 200-500 words a day, sometimes more. On a REALLY good day I can do almost 1000k in a single day. That's a rare event for me. If I can write between a paragraph to half a page day I am usually happy. I would love to be able to write tens of thousands of words in a single setting. I probably could if someone put a drip in my arm and I locked myself in a dark room for 24 hours.

I managed to churn out 200 words today and it was not fun. It was like ripping off my fingernails one by one and giving birth to a watermelon. I am happy that I was able to get SOMETHING down on the page. I made some baby steps towards the end of my chapter. That is the important thing. At the same time though...part of me cannot help but to feel irritated and fed up...I want to be able to write more. I do not want to force it though. I CANNOT force it. I've tried. Believe me. You cannot make your brain be creative. It has to be a natural act. The words have to flow from my fingertips like water. If the flow is not there, if it is nothing but a drip, I could try and torture myself to do more, but if it would be just that. Torture.

Sigh. Hopefully I will be able to do some more tomorrow and maybe finish my chapter. I did not write much today...but damn it I wrote something. That is better then nothing. So positive thoughts. I am 200 words closer to the words THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment