Sunday, March 27, 2011

Things that inspire us

When I was a kid I loved Sailor Moon. I loved the colours, the magic, and most of all the transformations. I used to get a kick out of watching Usagi/Serena spin around in front of a sparkly background and grow wings out of her shoulders. So, so, very cool. I found out the other day that the Sailor Moon and Sailor V (a series about Venus before she met the others) was coming out in English special editions. I was thrilled. I've been trying to buy all the old English versions for a long time now. I've been reduced to second hand copies through Amazon. I have to wait sometimes up to three months for them to arrive and the copies can sometimes be real shitty looking and once I got sent the wrong copy!! Luckily, it was one I had not read, so I kept it. Sailor Moon really inspired me to write fantasy. It helped shape me as a writer. It is a wonderful, great fantasy. Sailor Moon has had a big influence on me and my writing. As I got older I realised the true depth its of backstory and its ties to Greek myths. One of the things I like to do in my spare time is to collect Sailor Moon books and toys. I have all of the Japanese manga special editions, two original Japanese manga from the 90s, I have a Japanese Sailor V manga coming in the mail, one of the very precious and beautiful Sailor Moon artbooks, a whole bunch of DVDs, some English mangas and some figurines.

No comments:

Post a Comment