Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I would have to get writer's block at the end of my story...

I am about a chapter and a half away from finishing Deep Embrace so naturally my brain has come to a screeching hault and has decided this would be a great time to get writers block. I know exactly what I want to write. The images are there in my brain. It is putting them into words that is the problem. I think this is the most irritating type of writer's block. To know what you want to write but to not be able to put the images into words would be a bit like trying to eat food that is invisible. You can smell it. You can feel it. But you can't see it.

Deep Embrace has crossed the 60,000 word mark. I am very happy. It's still technically a novella. It probably has another 5,000- 10,000 words to go. Once editing is done the whole thing will probably be around the 40k mark. Hopefully more. I am proud of it. It was a fun, interesting experience. One of the things that surprised me the most about it was describing the mermaids swimming and what the ocean looks like. I seem to be forever asking myself the question "What description is neccessary?" and "Is this too much description?"

I still have not made my mind up what my next project would be. I would like to explore the character of Scylla more but I have to come up with a plot first. I have the outline for In Your Footsteps done. I'm not sure if I want to tackle that yet. It will have a sad ending. Not only are those difficult to market but it is less fun for me to write. But I have to stay true to the myths.

Back to my writer's block... I hate writers who claim that writers block does not exist. Oh come on, it so does. We cannot be creative all the time. It takes a hellva lot of brain juice to do what we do. When I have writers block I am pretty kind to myself. I could flog and punish like other writers do and chain my butt to my chair until the cogs in my brain slowly start to spin and the words trickle out of my bleeding fingertips. I could do that but I won't. I view writers block as mental exahusation. If I am blocked I simply lower my expectations for that day. Instead of aiming for over 500 words I will aim for 200. If I do nothing then that is okay. Sometimes a day's rest is all that is needed to overcome writers block.


I have not done any writing today and I am not sure if I will. When I look at it I cannot think of how to continue. It will come to me eventually though. It always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment