Friday, October 14, 2016

I am about to graduate from university

Well, here I am. Six years later. I am finally on the verge of finishing university. I've been looking forward for this day for so long and now that it is so close I feel weird about it. I am going to be glad to give it all up and move on but I will miss it. Its been apart of my life for so long and its given me something to focus on and a goal. I've enjoyed it and I've hated parts of it. Some highlights! Introduction to Journalism was the best class I took and really helped me figure out what career directions I could go in as a writer. I realized that I could do journalism if I wanted and it inspired me to begin writing articles online. Graphic novels was fun. I got to read some classic books and learnt about the history of the genre. I am really glad I switched my minor from editing to history and writing. I was CRAP at editing. My dyslexia just put up her hands and said "No, fuck this!" and left the room and did not come back. I did not blame her. University level grammar is pretty god damn horrifying.

I enjoyed learning how to make websites even though it was horribly stressful at first. I eventually got the hang of it and managed to build some websites from scratch. Fun stuff! I learnt about the black plague and witches in some more history classes and who can forget my very first assignment which I did about Klingon language? The best thing about doing university is that I've proven to myself that I am capable of doing a lot of things in this life. I am smart. I might not be as smart as my brother but I have gotten some pretty decent grades. I averaged between a CR and a D in most classes which I think was pretty good. I got a couple of HD's and I will never forget one teacher who told me he thought I was very talented and could have a career in journalism if I wanted. I liked his comments so much I kept the paper he wrote that on and still have it in my bookshelf. I have achieved a lot in this life but graduating from university might be at the top of that list. I have four learning disabilities and someone said to me once "You have to accept that there are some things you cannot do" I will never forget those words because I use them as inspiration to prove her wrong! I am not an idiot. I am not hopeless. I am not broken. I can do whatever I want to do. It helps if I have encouragement. And I have been surrounded by the most loving family my whole life who has done nothing but encourage me. Its funny what I can achieve if people pat me on the back and tell me to have a go. If you drag me down I will believe I am worthless and I will achieve nothing but if you pick me up and give me a little push you will be surprised what I can fucking achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment