Monday, August 15, 2011

Fantasy castles are the bane of my existance

I think the thing that annoys me most about my chosen genre is trying to describe grand, sprawling fantasy castles in graphic detail. I suck at it. I always draw a blank and end up describing some weird, strange looking thing, that I try to make sound like a weird cross between Hogwarts Castle and an ancient Greek Temple. In Deep Embrace there are two "castles" that are mentioned. One I describe as looking like a cluster of large bubbles (yeah how stupid does that sound) and another one is a crescent moon shaped pit at the bottom of the ocean. That one is driving me nuts because I do not know what the right word to describe it would be. Is it a cavern? A fissure? A pit? In my mind I see it as a crescent moon shaped valley at the bottom of the ocean that has been carved out of the sea floor on purpose. So it is NOT a natual structure. Its walls are pocketed with tunnels that lead to a series of underground chambers some which have air in it (again by design). At the moment I change between calling it a cavern and a pit. I am not totally sold on that description though and might change it in the rewrites. I have almost finished the second last chaper and have only maybe about 10 more pages left to go. I've pretty much described to rewrite the first chapter and cut out the Scylla battle (it will not be a little shoving match) and change the beginning of chapter two.

In other news I have been going over edits for Echoes in the Wind and that is progressing very nicely. I can't wait to see the final version!

No comments:

Post a Comment