Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bored and Blocked

I'm stuck in unemployment limbo at the moment so every couple of days I find myself unable to write because I get really, really, bored. Writing is so isolating. I'm perfectly happy to lock myself in my room for eight or nine hours if I have something interesting to watch on television in the background, if I don't I end up floating around the house doing housework or opening the fridge doors to see if the ice cream fairies have come to visit me. I managed to finish a scene in my latest project Echoes in the Wind the other day. It took me three months to write. It was so difficult it almost killed me. I think that's because its rapidly morphing into epic fantasy. Lots of magical creatures and lots of battles. I'm such a slow writer I can spend days on a single paragraph. I've been trying to write another scene but I can't get into it. I'm waiting for inspiration to strike me like a lightning bolt. As a writer IT IS SO IRRIRTATING to know what I want to write but being unable to put it into words. Its like watching a video with no sound. You can see the images perfectly but you can't hear anything. I have three scenes left in Echoes. I know exactly how I want to start them I just can't figure out how to begin writing them. And who says writers block doesn't exist? I hate people who claim that there's no such thing as writers block. Writes are human. We get bored, we get tired, we get fed up with staring at a computer screen for hours on end. Sometimes the creative spark just isn't there. Its usually a sign to have a break and go do something else. Since its been a couple of days for me I'm at the point where I'm pushing myself to write something. The beginning of a scene is always the hardest for me. I can spend days trying to figure out that first line. Once I get past it, I'm fine. Its like a door in front of me, or a wall. Once I get over the top of it and land on the other side I set off at a run. I'm trying to do the beginning scene of Echoes now. It starts off with dialogue. Its a tricky scene because I have to paint Narcissus, the male lead, as a sad lonely character, and not just a jerk who sleeps with alot of women.

I had my first comment! horrary! It was about the trailer. If the trailer does not work try this link: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3VAVhCSZX14&feature=channel_page

No comments:

Post a Comment